At Boys & Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Baltimore, the safety of our young people is our primary responsibility. Our work to create “great futures” begins with ensuring every single young person entrusted to us is physically and emotionally safe. In addition to providing proven programs and exciting experiences for our members, we leverage our national resource tool kit to ensure our Clubs reflect a culture of safety.
Boys & Girls Clubs Metropolitan Baltimore’s safety efforts include:
1. Criminal background checks are a requirement for all employees and volunteers interacting with our youth and teens, including fingerprint checks on all youth development staff.
2. All staff members participate in a wide variety of child safety trainings including those provided by Boys & Girls Clubs of America, local experts and law enforcement partners.
3. A Board of Directors Club & Child Safety Committee is in place and charged with ensuring our Clubs, our training, and our policies are aligned with the best interests of the young people we serve.
4. Comprehensive safety policies are in place that protect youth – including, but not limited to, supervision, transportation, communication and prohibiting private one-on-one contact, informed by partners including Praesidium, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, and the National Children’s Advocacy Center.
5. A proactive approach is taken to partnerships with leading experts in the field, including as a participant in the Beau Biden Foundation’s Shield of Protection Initiative.
6. Our staff consists of mandatory reporters which requires our team to report any suspicion of child abuse, neglect or mistreatment to local authorities and Boys & Girls Clubs of America.